Pages

Friday 16 March 2012

Adventures into blocking

I learned to knit when I was a child, I don't remember how old exactly, but probably somewhere between 7 and 11. Then I did a little knitting at 17 as part of a school textiles project before putting down my needles until three years ago when I started knitting 'properly'.

I have, however, never blocked anything. 

But, with the Birthday Blanket being my main knitting project (currently, at least) I thought it important that it was done right, which means learning how to block!

This was today's task:

First, I made a 15cm square template out of card to make a masking-tape grid on the bed. I figured this would make it easier to make sure the squares were all blocked to the same size, and I'd be able to reuse the grid as many times as I needed to get all the squares blocked (there are currently 65 knitted).
I then ran some lukewarm water in the bathroom sink, and put in two squares (I wanted to start small).
After letting them soak for 25 minutes, I took the squares out of the water, squeezed as much as I could out of them and then rolled them in a towel.
Then, I blocked them onto the bed, using my grid :)
This all seemed to go fine, so I put more squares in to soak and repeated the process in small batches until I ran out of pins. 
Apparently I can block 15 squares at once.

Now, just to let them dry so that the other squares can get blocked!
           
       

No comments:

Post a Comment