Pages

Thursday 12 April 2012

A letter by a different name ...

... is still a letter; it just looks like a zine in this case. 

Recently, I've seen a couple of pictures/how-to's of zines and decided I wanted to make one. Only problem was I didn't know what to put in it. 

Then I had an idea. 

While we've been in France, we've been keeping in contact with my wife's best friend, also on her year abroad, also in France. On the complete other side! Since getting post is so fun (as mentioned in Yay, post) we've been keeping in contact that way rather than via the internet (which may be easier, and speedier).

There was my idea: write our next letter in the form of a zine. I figured it would make for a more exciting (if that's possible) letter.

Here's how it went:

As we always write a fair amount, I decided an A4 sheet of paper wouldn't be enough and hence used A3. I followed this to make the zine and then opened it out again so I could work on the design.
At this point I had very little idea of what I was actually going to put on the paper, so it kind-of evolved of its own accord.
Starting with letter basics
Then came the decorating, until it looked like this:
At this point I gave the zine to my wife to actually write the letter; that's her job :P
And there you go, one finished zine-letter. Obviously it didn't quite look like that but I've blurred the writing out seeing as it's a private letter :)

And a couple of views of it in its folded up finished state:
Ta-da! Now wouldn't you like to get that in the post?
           
       

2 comments:

  1. THATS ME! :D im actually just in the process of replying now, though much less craft-ily...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! :D We look forward to receiving it :)

      Delete